Immunoassays: a "Gold Standard" of laboratory tests
Immunoassays harness the power of the mammalian immune system to detect and measure a wide variety of antigens, such as proteins, antibodies, hormones. Animals generate antibodies against a specific antigen, and that antibody can be extracted and purified for use in a human sample, whether blood, urine, saliva, or other bodily fluid. The most common immunoassay is an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, or ELISA, and millions of ELISAs are performed each day in laboratories around the world. ELISAs are widespread because they provide accurate, reliable results for thousands of different antigens, and are often the test methodology of choice for biological researchers who are trying to learn more about a particular disease or condition.
But while ELISAs are the gold standard for accurate lab results, there are a few downsides. Generally, the ELISA process is time consuming, complicated, and manual. Automation is available, but the machines are large and expensive and designed for large scale testing. As a result, ELISA tests are run in a centralized lab, thus requiring transport of samples, which is a large source of error. In fact, over 60% of lab testing errors occur before the sample even arrives at the testing lab!*
The first major innovation in immunoassay technology in more than two decades
Our scientists and engineers at Brevitest set out to develop a new ELISA platform, one that would deliver the benefits of ELISA without the downsides. Backed by the National Institutes of Health, our team reimagined the traditional immunoassay and ended up creating a rapid, point-of-care system that automates critical parts of the process. Our patented technology does not rely upon microfluidics, but instead uses magnetic microspheres and cloud-based information processing to deliver a platform that is:
- Accurate: Our tests have sensitivity and specificity comparable to traditional lab tests.
- Easy: We typically use fingerstick blood, urine, or saliva for our tests, so you experience minimal discomfort or anxiety.
- Fast: Results from our tests are available within 15 minutes, and easily accessed through our custom web application.
*Mrazek, Cornelia et al. “Errors within the total laboratory testing process, from test selection to medical decision-making – A review of causes, consequences, surveillance and solutions.” Biochemia medica vol. 30,2 (2020): 020502. doi:10.11613/ BM.2020.020502
Rapid and Easy
An Emphasis on Safety and Accuracy
We help you make important health decisions with your physician by providing accurate, reliable data. We have engineered our system from the beginning to minimize sources of risk and error, and we use AI technologies to perform real-time test validation. If our system detects a problem with your test, we will retest at our expense.
A Superior Customer Experience
Reporting That Goes Above and Beyond
The Brevitest platform is integrated into the Brevitest Cloud, our centralized data collection and processing system. We store no patient identifiable information in the Brevitest Cloud, so your privacy is protected. But having this data in a central form means that we are able to provide you and your physician with more sophisticated and useful reports than a traditional lab.
- AACC’s Disruptive Technology Award (2018) Small Business Innovation
- Three Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute on Drug Abuse in 2016, 2017 and 2019 and one SBIR from the NIH, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities in 2018
- Goradia Innovation Prize (2014)
- The Texas New Ventures Competition prize (2015)
- The I-Corps at NIH™ award (2016)
- 6 patents covering various aspects have been awarded